Collegiate Skills - COLLS 53
Critical Reading and Thinking Applications
4 Credit Hours4 Lecture Hours
This course focuses on developing brain-based comprehension strategies to actively read and process information from a variety of texts. Students will study test taking, including proper question/answer techniques. They will learn a variety of vocabulary strategies as well as strategies to critically analyze, synthesize and evaluate argumentative and expository essays.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- COLLS 50 or minimum score of 15 ACT-Reading, 22 SAT-Reading, 57 CPT-Reading Comprehension or 237 NGA-Reading.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Develop reading comprehension strategies for various types of written material.
- Differentiate between stated and unstated main ideas and supporting details in paragraphs, essays and texts.
- Analyze vocabulary word parts and context clues in paragraphs, essays and texts.
- Identify major organizational writing patterns in paragraphs, visuals, essays and texts.
- Identify author's purpose and point of view in paragraphs, visuals, essays and texts.
- Recognize valid inferences in various paragraphs, visuals, essays and texts.
- Identify the central point and major supporting elements in visuals, essays and texts.
- Document important events while reading an autobiography and generate short essays.
- Use appropriate organizational, summative, notational and/or visual techniques to integrate related information.
- Demonstrate appropriate test preparation and test taking techniques.
- Identify essential elements of an argument.
- Formulate a valid, documented response to an argument.
| ||053||110504||Critical Read Think App||MC||4||Boyde S||0/10/0||Closed||$25.00||M W 09:00 AM-11:26 AM LA340
| ||053||110511||Critical Read Think App||RMT||4||Margosian-Galindo N||0/24/2||Closed||$25.00||T R 12:00 PM-01:10 PM WEBWEB
T R 01:16 PM-02:26 PM WEBWEB
| ||053||110505||Critical Read Think App||RMT||4||Margosian-Galindo N||0/24/0||Closed||$25.00||M W 12:00 PM-12:54 PM WEBWEB
M W 01:00 PM-01:54 PM WEBWEB
| ||053||110506||Critical Read Think App||RMT||4||Wernholm A||2/24/0||Open||$25.00||M W 10:00 AM-10:54 AM WEBWEB
M W 11:00 AM-11:54 AM WEBWEB
| ||053||110508||Critical Read Think App||RMT||4||Anter N||2/24/0||Open||$25.00||T R 09:30 AM-11:26 AM WEBWEB
| ||053||110514||Critical Read Think App||RMT||4||Boyde S||11/24/0||Open||$25.00||T R 01:30 PM-02:24 PM WEBWEB
T R 02:30 PM-03:24 PM WEBWEB
| ||053||110518||Critical Read Think App||RMT||4||Boyde S||4/24/0||Open||$25.00||T R 11:00 AM-11:54 AM WEBWEB
T R 12:00 PM-12:54 PM WEBWEB
| ||053||110560||Critical Read Think App||RMT||4||Anter N||3/24/0||Open||$25.00||T R 06:00 PM-06:54 PM WEBWEB
T R 07:00 PM-07:54 PM WEBWEB
Key: Day of the Week
- T = Tuesday
- R = Thursday
- S = Saturday
- X = Sunday