Criminal Justice - CJ 102
Organization and Administration of Law Enforcement Agencies
3 Credit Hours3 Lecture Hours
This course will provide the student with an overview and understanding of law enforcement management and supervision to include an historical perspective and appropriate applications. Students will be exposed to managerial processes with regard to communication, decision making and problem solving that enable managers to effectively train and motivate subordinates. This course will identify how law enforcement managers effectively handle discipline, complaints, grievances, conflict and stress. This course will further identify how managers deploy resources, improve productivity and utilize performance appraisals and evaluations. Students will analyze challenges in managing law enforcement agencies in a changing environment.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Examine the history and various types of law enforcement organizations.
- Explain the role of management and leadership in law enforcement.
- Identify effective communication, decision making and problem solving skills and techniques.
- Identify training concerns and various training techniques used within law enforcement agencies with their impact on employee growth and development.
- Assess discipline and problem behaviors, employee complaints and grievances, and other labor issues affecting law enforcement employees.
- Ascertain causes of stress and other related hazards of police work.
- Allocate law enforcement resources.
- Examine proper personnel hiring procedures.
- Demonstrate improved productivity through performance appraisals and evaluation.
| ||102||112339||Org Adm Law Enf Agencies||ONL||3||Buck J||0/31/3||Closed||$12.00||
| ||102||317023||Org Adm Law Enf Agencies||PSTC||3||Courie J||19/20/0||Open||$12.00||R 01:00 PM-03:54 PM FTC120
| ||102||317030||Org Adm Law Enf Agencies||PSTC||3||Courie J||15/20/0||Open||$12.00||T 10:00 AM-12:54 PM FTC120
Key: Day of the Week
- T = Tuesday
- R = Thursday
- S = Saturday
- X = Sunday