Brewing and Distillation Technology - BDT 220
Advanced Brewing and Distillation
4 Credit Hours2 Lecture Hours2 Laboratory Hours
This course focuses on advanced brewing processes and the relationship of brewing to distillation. Specialty beer production, formula development and scaling, quality control and management of a craft beverage production facility are covered. Topics include original recipe development, brewing specialty beers using advanced brewing techniques, lab analysis, production techniques and packaging. The principles and production techniques involved in the distillation of grains, fruits and other fermented products associated with craft beverage production, distillation technology, sensory evaluation, quality control, engineering and craft distillery management are also covered.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- Students must be at least 18 years of age to take this course [MCL 436, 1703 Section 703, (13)].
- BDT 101 .
- BDT 110 .
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Contrast the methods and practices used for brewed and distilled products.
- Develop specialty and seasonal beer formulas.
- Outline the product development process.
- Characterize the relationship between raw materials, process methods and the influence on the final product.
- Explain the different types of distillers, their operation and their application.
- Explore advanced mashing and fermentation schedules for brewing and distilling.
- Summarize the operation and management of a commercial distillery.
- Compare the regulatory and tax requirements of breweries and distilleries.
- Differentiate safety considerations unique to distilleries.
- Specify the use of specialty malts, fruits, adjuncts and other ingredients found in specialty beers, their introduction into the brewing process and their influence on the final product.
- Explain the history of beer and distilled spirits production and trends in technology.
- Explain clarification and filtration processes in a commercial brewery.
| ||220||140906||Adv Brewing Distill||HYBMC||4||Belau K||7/12/0||Open||$112.00||M 04:00 PM-07:54 PM VT440
| ||220||110905||Adv Brewing Distill||MC||4||Belau K||10/12/0||Open||$112.00||M 04:00 PM-07:54 PM VT440
Key: Day of the Week
- T = Tuesday
- R = Thursday
- S = Saturday
- X = Sunday