Brewing and Distillation Technology - BDT 210
Cellaring, Packaging and Quality Management (2-2) 4 Cr. Hrs.
This course will cover aspects of fermentation management, packaging and analytical techniques that result in a quality finished product. Management of the brewhouse systems, fermentation processes, finishing, carbonating, packaging and related quality management procedures are emphasized. Techniques and equipment used to assess quality are covered, with emphasis on managing the fermentation process from yeast pitching to final packaging.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- Students must be at least 18 years of age to take this course [MCL 436.1703 Section 703, (13)].
- BDT 110 or may be taken concurrently.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Correlate fermentation management processes and methods with flavor and fault development.
- Explain the importance of cleanliness and sanitation at different stages in the brewing process.
- Characterize the various parameters used for quality measurements of beer.
- Analyze beer for faults and defects using a sensory analysis process.
- Practice analytical techniques used to detect bacteria, wild yeast and other contaminants.
- Practice yeast harvesting, propagation and storage techniques in a commercial brewery.
- Summarize quality control and management considerations for various packaging options.
- Demonstrate specialized equipment used to test and monitor the finished product, detect contamination and measure quality parameters.
- Determine proper carbonation levels based on beer style.
- Outline clean-in-place procedures, equipment and chemicals.
- Demonstrate the safe operation of bottling and canning lines in a commercial brewery.
- Explain the regulation of temperature throughout the brewing process and its effect on the finished product.
| ||210||140905||Cellar Pkg Qual Mgmt|| ||4||Walters J||15/24/0||Open||$60.00||W 04:00 PM-07:54 PM VT405
| ||210||110904||Cellar Pkg Qual Mgmt|| ||4||Walters J||15/24/0||Open||$60.00||W 04:00 PM-07:54 PM VT405