Brewing and Distillation Technology - BDT 140
Marketing and Operations Management (2-0) 2 Cr. Hrs.
This course provides students with an introduction to the business of commercial alcoholic beverage production, its historical development and the planning and resources required to market and distribute brewed or distilled products. Emphasis is placed on the nature of the craft beverage market including trends that drive the industry and the consumer. The history of the 3-Tier System, Control State regulations and liquor control laws that shape the nature of manufacturing, distributing and retailing alcoholic beverages and their effects on marketing strategies are examined, including development of strategies and how to set appropriate levels of promotional effort, pricing and other considerations for generating sales.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- Students must be at least 18 years of age to take this course [MCL 436.1703 Section 703, (13)].
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Analyze the craft brewing industry, its history, competitive dynamics, trends and opportunities.
- Outline the 3-Tier System, the role of producers, distributors, and retailers and regulations governing each.
- Summarize options for structuring a brewing business with regard to types of licenses, distribution regulations and the 3-Tier System.
- Explain principles of marketing, including market segmentation, target marketing, brand positioning, pricing and promotion.
- Develop a sales forecast and production plan for a craft beverage operation.
- Outline the key interactions between the sales and distribution functions.
- Explain the importance of economic and environmental sustainability and social responsibility.
- Summarize the characteristics of consumer behavior that are of particular interest to the beverage industry.
- Develop a comprehensive business plan for starting and operating a craft beverage business.
- Interpret labeling requirements and regulations related to fermented beverage production, distribution and sale.
| ||140||140951||Marketing Oper Mgmt|| ||2||Tyrell A||24/31/0||Open||$12.00||M 06:00 PM-07:54 PM BTC245