As virtually every medical care facility has moved to electronic medical record keeping, the need for health information technicians responsible for healthcare data in a variety of formats has become even more important. At Schoolcraft, students can earn either a health coding specialist certificate or health information technology associate of science degree to improve their opportunities to qualify for a position in this rapidly changing field. At Schoolcraft, our faculty is trained in the latest technology, along with state and federal legislation medical recordkeeping standards. Schoolcraft’s Health Information Technology Associate Degree Program is nationally accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM). Students will enjoy a combination of classroom, laboratory and off-campus experiences in a variety of healthcare facilities with supervised professional practice assignments to expand their learning opportunities.
- The coding specialist certificate prepares students to review and analyze health records to identify relevant diagnoses and procedures for patient services, translating diagnostic and procedural phrases utilized by healthcare providers into coded form.
- Associate of applied science degree graduates are eligible to take the Registered Health Information Technician examination.
- A minimum grade of 2.0 is required in all classes and full and part-time programs are available.
- The program has transfer agreements with many state universities.
CAHIIM Accreditation Information
Students successfully completing this CAHIIM-accredited program are eligible to take the Registered Health Information Technician exam by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). Each year the program completes a yearly Annual Program Assessment Review (APAR) for CAHIIM.
Outcomes from the most recent program review include:
- 100% of respondents to an employer survey indicated the quality of the Schoolcraft HIT Graduate is very good to excellent (1)
- 79% of the graduates were employed in healthcare within one year of graduation (2)
- 100% of the graduates rated the program good to excellent (1)
- 100% successful transfer of credit to CAHIIM-accredited baccalaureate programs (2)
- 69% of first-time test takers were successful on the RHIT exam. National average 69% (3)
An RHIT credential is highly regarded by employers in southeastern Michigan and can lead to excellent employment opportunities. For more information about the benefits of certification, click here.
- Schoolcraft College Research and Analytics survey 2017
- HIT Program records 2018
- AHIMA reports 08/01/2016 to 07/31/2017