English as a Second Language
English as a Second Language (ESL) Program
Schoolcraft program code: Aligned with the student's major program of study
The courses in the English as a Second Language (ESL) program prepare students for study in American college settings and also teach the international student about American culture and the English language for daily living and communication with native speakers. The instruction includes:
- English and vocabulary development
- Academic writing activities: forms, letters, compositions,summaries, essay exams and research papers
- Speaking activities: discussions, oral reports and formal speeches
- Listening skills: lectures, video and audio tapes
- Reading and grammar for college level academic purposes
- Test preparation and note taking skills
- Computer-assisted instruction Instruction is highly individualized to meet individual learner goals.
Classes incorporate learning in the language labs, using computer-assisted instruction and other interactive instructional materials. Instructors work with students individually and in small groups to maximize the rate of student progress. In advanced levels of the program, students will complement the ESL courses with appropriate academic college coursework.
The English as a Second Language program consists of five levels, each focused on the following three content areas:
- Grammar and Writing
- Reading and Vocabulary
- Speaking and Listening
Students are initially placed into the appropriate level, based on their ESL Accuplacer Test scores. Therefore, not all classes may be required.
Curriculum Guide (PDF)
English as a Second Language (ESL) (60-61 cr.)