IRS Data Retrieval Instructions
- Sign into the fafsa.gov website
- Click “Make FAFSA correction”
- Click next until you get to “Financial Information” or click on the “Financial Information” tab
- If you are able to answer “None of the above,” check that box off. If you are not able to answer “None of the above, you must request your IRS tax return transcript (see below)
- Click the link that says “Link to IRS”
- Click okay
- Click okay again
- Enter how you filed taxes (ex. Single, Married, etc)
- Enter your address just as it is listed on the your Federal tax forms
- Click submit
- If your address matches, it will pull up the information that the IRS has for you.
- Check the box to “Link the IRS to the FAFSA”
- Click “Link to FAFSA”
- It will take you back to the FAFSA website, scroll to the bottom of page, click “Next”
- View your changes and click “Next”
- Sign with your pin number
- Accept the terms and conditions
- Click submit
- You will know that it went through when it takes you to the confirmation page.
Schoolcraft will get the updated information in approximately 1 – 2 weeks. You can check the status in WebAdvisor, under “My Documents.”
IRS Tax Return Transcript, IRS Tax Account Transcript, and IRS Record of Account Request Process
Tax filers can request from the IRS an IRS Tax Return Transcript or an IRS Tax Account Transcript of their 2012 IRS tax return, free of charge, in one of three ways.
- Available on the IRS Web site at www.irs.gov
- In the Tools section of the homepage click “Order a Return or Account Transcript”
- Click “Order a Transcript”
- Enter the tax filer’s social security number, date of birth, street address, and zip or postal code. Use the address currently on file with the IRS. Generally this will be the address that was listed on the latest tax return filed. However, if an address change has been completed either through the IRS or the US Postal Service, the IRS may have the updated address on file, which should be used. For a joint tax return, use the primary tax filer’s social security number, date of birth, street address, and zip or postal code.
- Click “Continue”
- In the Type of Transcript field, select “Return Transcript” or “Account Transcript” and in the Tax Year field, select “2012”.
- If successfully validated, tax filers can expect to receive a paper IRS Tax Return Transcript or an IRS Tax Account Transcript, whichever was requested, at the address included in their online request, within 5 to 10 business days from the time the online request was successfully transmitted to the IRS.
- IRS Tax Return Transcripts and IRS Tax Account Transcripts requested online cannot be mailed to an address other than the address on file with the IRS.
- Available from the IRS by calling 1-800-908-9946
- Tax filers must follow prompts to enter their social security number and the numbers in their street address. Generally this will be numbers of the street address that was listed on the latest tax return filed. However, if an address change has been completed either through the IRS or the US Postal Service, the IRS may have the updated address on file. For a joint tax return, use the primary tax filer’s social security number, date of birth, street address, and zip or postal code.
Paper Request Form – IRS Form 4506T-EZ
- IRS Form 4506T-EZ should be used instead of IRS Form 4506-T because it is sufficient to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript.
- Download at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506tez.pdf
- Complete lines 1 – 4, following the instructions on page 2 of the form. Note that line 3 should be the most current address as filed with the IRS. It is the address where the IRS Tax Return Transcript will be sent. If the address has recently changed, include the address listed on the latest tax return filed on Line 4. However, if an address change has been completed through the US Postal Service, the IRS may have the updated address on file.
- Line 5 provides tax filers with the option to have their IRS Tax Return Transcript mailed directly to a third party by the IRS.
- Institutions are responsible for notifying aid applicants whether to list the institution as the third party to receive the Transcript or not. Some institutions may have difficulty matching a parent’s incoming IRS Tax Return Transcript to the aid applicant, as the two names may be different.
- On line 6, enter “2011” to receive IRS tax information for the 2011 tax year that is required for the 2012-2013 FAFSA.
- The tax filers (or spouse if requesting information from a joint tax return) must sign and date the form and enter their telephone number. Only one signature is required to request a transcript for a joint return.
- Mail or fax the completed IRS Form 4506T-EZ to the appropriate address (or FAX number) provided on page 2 of Form 4506T-EZ.
- Tax filers can expect to receive their transcript within 5 to 10 days from the time the IRS receives and processes their signed request. NOTE: Processing form 4506T-EZ means verifying/validating the information provided on the form. If any information does not match the IRS records, the IRS will notify the tax filer that it was not able to provide the transcript.