Psychology - PSYCH 229
Life-Span Developmental Psychology (4-0) 4 Cr. Hrs.
Human development from conception through death is examined. Biological, cognitive and psychosocial development topics are explored with an understanding of the theories and research findings across the life-span.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Explain the symptoms and treatment of specific mental health related disorders affecting, children, adults and the
- Interpret the relationship between health and certain lifestyle factors and measures for increasing health during
- Summarize the contributions and criticisms of the major developmental theories and theorists.
- Examine common mistakes made in the interpretation of research.
- Examine the benefits of prenatal care.
- Explain the nutritional needs of infants.
- Differentiate three theories of language learning, and current views on language learning.
- Explain the main developments in the emotional life, including attachment theory, of the child between six months and two years.
- Discuss the major characteristics of Piaget's stage of preoperational thought.
- Examine the special problems of bullies and their victims and possible ways of helping such children.
- Explain the development of the brain during adolescence.
- Interpret the use and misuse of prescription medications when treating children, adults and the elderly.
- Explain the psychosocial and biosocial development of adolescence, adulthood and the elderly.
- Examine changes in memory, attention and learning in adulthood.
- Evaluate changes in cognition and emotion in adulthood.
- Evaluate religious and cultural variations in how death is viewed and treated.
- Examine the contributions of gerontology to changing views about old age.
| ||229||142318||Life Span Developmental Psych||Online||4||Burke D||$12.00||5/31/0||Open||
| ||229||142409||Life Span Developmental Psych||Online||4||Burke D||$12.00||0/31/1||Closed||
| ||229||142133||Life Span Developmental Psych|| ||4||Burke D||$12.00||3/31/0||Open||T R 12:30 PM-02:24 PM BTC100
| ||229||142134||Life Span Developmental Psych|| ||4||Burke D||$12.00||3/28/0||Open||T R 08:30 AM-10:24 AM LA360
| ||229||142154||Life Span Developmental Psych|| ||4||White-Underwood R||$12.00||14/28/0||Open||M W 06:00 PM-07:54 PM LA260
| ||229||142308||Life Span Developmental Psych||Online||4||Burke D||$12.00||4/31/0||Open||
| ||229||142330||Life Span Developmental Psych||Online||4||Burke D||$12.00||8/31/0||Open||