Psychology - PSYCH 229
Life-Span Developmental Psychology (4-0) 4 Cr. Hrs.
Human development from conception through death is examined. Biological, cognitive and psychosocial development topics are explored with an understanding of the theories and research findings across the life-span.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Explain the symptoms and treatment of specific mental health related disorders affecting, children, adults and the
- Interpret the relationship between health and certain lifestyle factors and measures for increasing health during
- Summarize the contributions and criticisms of the major developmental theories and theorists.
- Examine common mistakes made in the interpretation of research.
- Examine the benefits of prenatal care.
- Explain the nutritional needs of infants.
- Differentiate three theories of language learning, and current views on language learning.
- Explain the main developments in the emotional life, including attachment theory, of the child between six months and two years.
- Discuss the major characteristics of Piaget's stage of preoperational thought.
- Examine the special problems of bullies and their victims and possible ways of helping such children.
- Explain the development of the brain during adolescence.
- Interpret the use and misuse of prescription medications when treating children, adults and the elderly.
- Explain the psychosocial and biosocial development of adolescence, adulthood and the elderly.
- Examine changes in memory, attention and learning in adulthood.
- Evaluate changes in cognition and emotion in adulthood.
- Evaluate religious and cultural variations in how death is viewed and treated.
- Examine the contributions of gerontology to changing views about old age.
| ||229||122110||Life Span Developmental Psych|| ||4||White-Underwood R||$12.00||31/31/0||Open||T R 12:30 PM-04:43 PM LA270
| ||229||122304||Life Span Developmental Psych||Online||4||Burke D||$12.00||31/31/0||Open||
| ||229||122328||Life Span Developmental Psych||Online||4||Jackson L||$12.00||31/31/0||Open||
| ||229||132923||Life Span Developmental Psych||Online||4||Burke D||$12.00||31/31/0||Open||
| ||229||132927||Life Span Developmental Psych||Online||4||Pilgrim C||$12.00||31/31/0||Open||
| ||229||112727||Life Span Developmental Psych||Online||4||Pilgrim C||$12.00||2/31/0||Open||
| ||229||112417||Life Span Developmental Psych||Online||4||Burke D||$12.00||0/31/0||Closed||
| ||229||112486||Life Span Developmental Psych||Online||4||Burke D||$12.00||7/31/0||Open||
| ||229||017716||Life Span Developmental Psych||OE/OE||4||Morgan T||$12.00||16/31/0||Open||
| ||229||112130||Life Span Developmental Psych|| ||4||Burke D||$12.00||2/31/0||Open||T R 12:30 PM-02:24 PM BTC100
| ||229||112131||Life Span Developmental Psych|| ||4||Riha L||$12.00||6/28/0||Open||T R 04:00 PM-05:54 PM LA475
| ||229||112132||Life Span Developmental Psych|| ||4||Burke D||$12.00||3/24/0||Open||T R 09:00 AM-10:54 AM LA230
| ||229||112155||Life Span Developmental Psych|| ||4||Schulz-Perez K||$12.00||16/28/0||Open||T 06:00 PM-09:54 PM LA360
| ||229||112305||Life Span Developmental Psych||Online||4||Burke D||$12.00||3/31/0||Open||