Nutrition and Food Science - NFS 490
Clinical Nutrition Internship (2-10) 2 Cr. Hrs.
This internship course gives students the opportunity to apply skills learned in Clinical Nutrition and Exploring Specialized Diets. Students will intern a minimum of 50 hours with a registered dietitian. They will have the opportunity to assess and document nutrition-related information, implement physician's dietary orders and review the effectiveness of the nutrition plan. In addition, students will work within a larger group of medical professionals to develop skills in communicating appropriate client information.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Document nutritional information in medical records.
- Interview patients/clients/caregivers for nutrition-related information.
- Implement diet plans or menus using appropriate modifications.
- Implement physicians' dietary orders.
- Apply standard nutrition care procedures.
- Review the effectiveness of a nutrition plan.
- Represent a department at external meetings.
- Communicate client information to other health professionals.
- Participate in client care conferences and case presentations.
- Participate in regulatory agency surveys.
Currently no sections of this class are being offered.