Nutrition and Food Science - NFS 320
Evolution of Dietary Needs throughout the Lifecycle (3-0) 3 Cr. Hrs.
Students will learn to examine the nutritional requirements for each phase of the lifecycle. This will include nutritional needs, appropriate food group balance, portion sizes, difference in nutritional requirements by gender, appropriate supplements, illnesses related to nutritional deficiencies and the development of menu plans.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Evaluate appropriate dietary selections for the first two years of life.
- Critique the nutritional needs of toddlers and young children.
- Discriminate the dietary needs of adolescence.
- Describe the ideal diet of an adult.
- Outline the nutritional needs of a woman during pregnancy and lactation.
- Summarize dietary needs of the aging.
- Evaluate how nutrition affects growth and development.
- Investigate nutritional management of diseases that persist across the lifecycle.
Currently no sections of this class are being offered.