Health Information Technology - HIT 236
ICD Coding Practicum (1-1) 2 Cr. Hrs.
This course will provide practical hands-on experience in assigning ICD-10-CM/PCS codes to health/medical records and case scenarios. The student will apply official coding guidelines to a variety of clinical cases and record types such as hospital inpatient, outpatient surgery, physician office and ancillary services. The student will research references in solving coding problems. Manual and computerized systems for diagnosis and procedure coding and DRG grouping will be used.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
(A course to be taken in the same semester as this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Interpret health record content to determine appropriate ICD-10-CM/PCS code assignment.
- Apply diagnosis and procedure codes using ICD-10-CM/PCS according to current guidelines and conventions.
- Evaluate the accuracy of ICD diagnostic and procedural coding.
- Develop appropriate physician queries to resolve data and coding discrepancies.
- Apply current regulations and established guidelines in clinical classification systems (SOI-ROM, POA, UHDDS).
- Utilize encoding and grouping software to determine accurate codes for optimal reimbursement and reporting.
- Calculate case-mix.
- Consult the AHA Coding Clinic to clarify current coding issues.
| ||236||227225||ICD-10-CM/PCS Prac|| ||2||Brown D||$52.00||9/24/0||Open||S 09:00 AM-01:13 PM RC465
S 09:00 AM-01:13 PM RC425
| ||236||227255||ICD-10-CM/PCS Prac|| ||2||Derousie C||$52.00||5/24/0||Open||W 05:00 PM-09:13 PM RC465
W 05:00 PM-09:13 PM RC415
| ||236||227257||ICD-10-CM/PCS Prac|| ||2||Kuzak B||$52.00||11/24/0||Open||M 05:00 PM-05:54 PM RC465
M 06:00 PM-09:13 PM RC425