Health Information Technology - HIT 235
Intermediate ICD-10-CM/PCS (2-2) 3 Cr. Hrs.
This course is designed to prepare a student to code in the hospital setting using ICD-10-CM/PCS. The course will emphasize reporting requirements for codes and rules that apply to reimbursement systems used by government payers and other health plans. Students will further develop their skills in building codes in the ICD-10 procedure coding system. Students will accurately and ethically assign codes for diagnoses, services and procedures that are documented in the health/medical record. Lab activities will include manual and electronic methods of code assignment.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Interpret inpatient and outpatient case scenarios for code assignment purposes.
- Apply ICD-10-CM diagnosis codes according to current guidelines and conventions for the following:
- a. Pregnancy, Delivery and the Puerperium
- b. Circulatory System
- c. Neoplasms
- d. Respiratory System
- e. Digestive System
- f. Endocrine System
- g. Nervous System
- h. Signs and Symptoms/Ill-defined Conditions
- i. Skin and Subcutaneous Tissue
- j. Musculoskeletal System
- k. Genitourinary System
- Assign ICD-10-PCS codes from the Medical/Surgical Section as well as Ancillary Sections.
- Select the appropriate principal diagnosis, principal procedure, complications and comorbid conditions which require coding following UHDDS guidelines.
- Evaluate the accuracy of ICD diagnostic and procedural coding.
- Develop appropriate physician queries to resolve data and coding discrepancies.
- Utilize technology to determine DRG assignment.
- Analyze current regulations and established guidelines in clinical classification systems (SOI-ROM, POA, UHDDS).
- Ensure accuracy of DRG assignment.
- Calculate case mix index.
- Review accuracy of computer assisted coding assignment and recommend corrective action.
- Comply with AHIMA Standards of Ethical Coding.
| ||235||247208||Inter ICD-10-CM/PCS|| ||3||Brown D||$160.00||14/24/0||Open||S 09:00 AM-10:54 AM RC465
S 11:00 AM-12:54 PM RC425
| ||235||247212||Inter ICD-10-CM/PCS|| ||3||Kuzak B||$160.00||20/24/0||Open||R 04:00 PM-05:54 PM RC310
R 06:00 PM-07:54 PM RC415