Health Information Technology - HIT 158
Clinical Affiliation 1 (0-8) 2 Cr. Hrs.
This course provides the health information student with professional practice experience (PPE)/clinical affiliation under the supervision of a qualified Health Information Management professional. The student will have the opportunity to observe and interact with Health Information Management professionals in a variety of healthcare settings both on-campus and off-campus. Virtual lab activities will be used to enhance the professional practice experience. This course requires a time commitment of eight daytime hours, one day per week, for 15 weeks to meet program professional practice experience guidelines. A special permit and additional course conditions are required to register.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
(A course to be taken in the same semester as this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Describe the varied roles of the Health Information Management professional.
- Demonstrate professional and ethical behavior.
- Maintain health data (such as data elements, data sets and databases).
- Conduct analysis to ensure that documentation in the health record supports the diagnosis and reflects the patient's progress, clinical findings and discharge status.
- Apply policies and procedures to ensure the accuracy and integrity of health data.
- Verify the documentation in the health record is timely, complete and accurate.
- Utilize secondary data sources.
- Use technology, including hardware and software, to ensure data collection, storage, analysis and reporting of information.
- Communicate effectively in person and through technology.
- Utilize common software applications such as spreadsheets, databases, word processing, graphics, presentation and email in the execution of work processes.
- Compile a professional procedure manual.
| ||158||239902||Clinical Affiliation 1|| ||2||Scheller J||$525.00||22/24/0||Open||