History - HIST 152
19th Century America - U.S. History (3-0) 3 Cr. Hrs.
This course is a survey of the expansion, crisis and renewal of the U.S. in the 19th century: demographic, economic, social and cultural change in Jacksonian America; the North and antebellum reform movements; the South and slavery; the West and territorial conquest and settlement; sectional struggle, the Civil War and Reconstruction; and emergence of modern, urban, industrial America to the beginning of the 20th century.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Demonstrate a clear, factual understanding of the historical development of nineteenth-century America.
- Evaluate the human experience as it relates to the historical period covered by the course.
- Analyze the role geography played in the historical period covered by the course.
- Relate the human experience—using history—to contemporary times.
- Analyze historical evidence of the human experience/culture for the period covered by the course.
- Distinguish between historical artifacts and other types of sources concerning history.
- Incorporate historical artifacts and other scholarly sources concerning history into their writing and research.
- Demonstrate digital literacy, especially as it relates to the study of history.
- Explain major constitutional issues that emerged during the historical period covered by the course.
- Identify ways in which American history must be understood in an international context.
- Identify major issues in the American Civil War.
- Identify major military issues in which the American was involved.
- Discuss the role of the United States in an international/global context.
| ||152||111611||19 Cen Amer US Hist|| ||3||Thomson A||$12.00||14/31/0||Open||T R 09:30 AM-10:50 AM LA415
| ||152||111614||19th Cent Amer US Hist|| ||3||Burhans B||$12.00||20/31/0||Open||T R 01:00 PM-02:20 PM LA415
| ||152||112932||19th Cent Amer Us Hist||Online||3||Thomson A||$12.00||6/31/0||Open||