History - HIST 137
Early Modern World (4-0) 4 Cr. Hrs.
This course is a survey of the balance of world civilizations in medieval and early modern times: American and African peripheral regions; major civilizations of Asia and Europe in the Middle Ages; 14th-16th century crisis and renewal; expansion of Europe in the age of Renaissance, Reformation and discovery; rise of the Great Power system; the scientific revolution and Enlightenment; the democratic and industrial revolutions; emergence of modern ideologies and nations; and climax of European expansion in the age of imperialism to the late 19th century.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Demonstrate a clear, factual understanding of the historical development of the early modern world.
- Evaluate the human experience as it relates to the historical period covered by the course.
- Analyze the role geography played in the historical period covered by the course.
- Relate the human experience—using history—to contemporary times.
- Analyze historical evidence of the human experience/culture for the period covered by the course.
- Distinguish between historical artifacts and other types of sources concerning history.
- Incorporate historical artifacts and other scholarly sources concerning history into their writing and research.
- Demonstrate digital literacy, especially as it relates to the study of history.
- Synthesize the advancement of human nature and culture for the period covered by the course.
- Analyze the advancements in civilizations during the period covered by the course.
- Summarize the emergence of modern nations and ideologies.
- Explain scientific advances and cultural enlightenment for the period covered by the course.
| ||137||141605||Early Modern World|| ||4||Berg S||$12.00||2/31/0||Open||T R 10:00 AM-11:54 AM LA415
| ||137||142378||Early Modern World||Online||4||Thomson A||$12.00||18/31/0||Open||
| ||137||121601||Early Modern World|| ||4||Johns M||$12.00||29/31/0||Open||M W 09:00 AM-01:13 PM LA415
| ||137||132325||Early Modern World||Online||4||Berg S||$12.00||0/31/0||Closed||