English as a Second Language - ESL 117
Grammar and Writing 4 (3-1) 4 Cr. Hrs.
This course for English-language learners is the fourth in a guided series of ESL grammar and writing classes. In this class, taught in group and language lab settings, students will develop academic essays which integrate limited research.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- Placement is determined by test scores on the CPT Accuplacer English as a Second Language Test or a minimum grade of 2.0 in ESL 087.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Utilize the writing process including prewriting, writing, revising, editing and proofreading.
- Express thoughts accurately and clearly in writing with a minimum of grammatical errors that impede understanding.
- Apply all parts of speech to enhance writing.
- Develop the components of an essay.
- Analyze types of writing, audiences and purposes.
- Compose descriptive, comparison-contrast and opinion essays.
- Critique essays for sentence skills of grammar, spelling, punctuation and word choice.
- Analyze research sources for authority, credibility and relevance.
- Document research through summarizing, paraphrasing and quoting.
- Recognize plagiarism.
- Create essays with academic level vocabulary.
- Write unified essays whose central ideas are clearly expressed by the thesis statement.
- Utilize conditionals and the subjunctives in writing.
- Formulate sentences with direct and indirect speech.
| ||117||111736||Grammar Writing 4|| ||4||Pak E||$37.00||0/20/0||Closed||T 09:00 AM-09:54 AM MC025
T 10:00 AM-11:01 AM MC011
R 09:00 AM-11:01 AM MC025