English as a Second Language - ESL 114
Listening and Speaking 4 (3-1) 4 Cr. Hrs.
This course for English-language learners is the fourth in a guided series of ESL listening and speaking skills classes. The content of this course, taught in group and language lab settings, focuses on communication skills for active participation in academic and social contexts. Students develop listening and speaking skills for classroom presentations and discussions, learn note-taking skills and practice using academic vocabulary and grammar forms appropriately in context.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- ESL 84 with a minimum grade of 2.0 or
- Placement is determined by test scores on the CPT Accuplacer English as a Second Language Test.
- Students also may be required to complete a speaking skills assessment.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Express thoughts accurately in conversations, class and small group discussions on academic topics.
- Explain ideas in an organized manner using examples, details or anecdotal stories.
- Negotiate a solution or compromise in conversation.
- Utilize strategies to aid with new vocabulary in speaking and listening.
- Identify idiomatic and formulaic expressions in spoken and written English.
- Formulate a valid response or argument to questions following a presentation.
- Deliver well-supported presentations of specified rhetorical types.
- Incorporate research and documentation into formal presentations.
- Summarize information from authentic media broadcasts.
- Create accurate notes and outline showing main ideas and supporting details from an academic lecture on a topic with some unfamiliar material.
- Critique oral presentations using established rubric of presentation components.
- Demonstrate patterned control of suprasegmental articulation in formal and spontaneous speech.
| ||114||141735||Listen Speak 4|| ||4||Lowell C||$37.00||15/23/0||Open||T 02:00 PM-04:01 PM MC025
R 02:00 PM-02:54 PM MC025
R 03:00 PM-04:01 PM MC011