English as a Second Language - ESL 74
Listening and Speaking 2 (3-1) 4 Cr. Hrs.
This course for English-language learners is the second in a guided series of ESL listening and speaking skills classes. The content of this course, taught in group and language lab settings, teaches students to develop fluency and accuracy in speaking through group presentations and spoken interactions with teachers and classmates. They will learn to apply strategies for comprehending and processing short-spoken passages on familiar topics. Students improve their ability to talk about personal and informal topics in social and academic settings.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- ESL 64 with a minimum grade of 2.0 or Placement is determined by test scores on the CPT Accuplacer English as a Second Language Test. Students also may be required to complete a speaking skills assessment.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Conduct social conversations using familiar language in unpredictable contexts.
- Execute small and large group verbal interactions.
- Formulate simple expressions of opinion.
- Utilize level-appropriate grammatical accuracy when speaking.
- Deliver short formal presentations.
- Employ new vocabulary in a variety of applications.
- Distinguish language use in informal versus formal situations.
- Identify simple information from a conversation in unfamiliar contexts.
- Demonstrate listening comprehension in formal and informal contexts.
- Identify main ideas and supporting details in listening tasks and presentations.
- Apply key course-related pronunciation, volume and intonation concepts for effective listening and speaking.
- Produce English sounds different from student's first language.
| ||074||141721||Listen Speak 2|| ||4||Fichtenberg C||$37.00||11/23/0||Open||T 02:00 PM-04:01 PM MC020
R 02:00 PM-02:54 PM MC011
R 03:00 PM-04:01 PM MC020
| ||074||121711||Listen Speak 2|| ||4||Fichtenberg C||$37.00||0/23/0||Closed||T 11:45 AM-02:11 PM MC025
R 11:45 AM-12:39 PM MC011
R 12:45 PM-02:11 PM MC025