English - ENG 244
Introduction to Literature - Poetry (3-0) 3 Cr. Hrs.
This course develops standards for critical evaluation to increase the understanding and appreciation of poetry. Students read and analyze poetry and its forms from early to modern times.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- ENG 101 with a minimum grade of 2.0 or minimum score of 22 ACT-English, 29 SAT-Writing and Language or 108 CPT-Sentence Skills.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Identify elements of poetry.
- Evaluate elements of poetry.
- Explore poetry's ability to express human emotion.
- Utilize the technical vocabulary necessary for understanding poetry.
- Examine multiple interpretive possibilities of poetry.
- Relate a poem to its cultural-historical context.
- Examine poetic movements.
- Explore critical trends, problems and themes in poetry.
- Develop an appreciation for poetry as a literary form.
Currently no sections of this class are being offered.