English - ENG 221
Advanced Composition (3-0) 3 Cr. Hrs.
This course provides advanced composition theory and practice for students to develop writing skills beyond ENG 101 and ENG 102. It emphasizes the writing process, revision strategies and standard research techniques. It also encourages peer collaboration and evaluation to reflect professional writing.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- ENG 101 with a minimum grade of 2.0 or minimum placement test score of 22 ACT, 29 SAT and 108 CPT.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Analyze the rhetorical modes in essays, articles, reports and books.
- Apply rewriting strategies for short and long reports and papers.
- Write papers and documented reports on a variety of topics in humanities, arts, science or business.
- Examine a variety of prose pieces on topics in the humanities, arts, science or business.
- Evaluate prose for credibility, social impact or rhetorical effectiveness.
- Conduct primary and secondary research.
- Demonstrate appropriate referencing and citation of sources using one or more style sheets (MLA, APA, etc.).
- Demonstrate advanced composition and research skills.
- Revise prose for clarity of ideas, correctness of usage, and effectiveness of style.
Currently no sections of this class are being offered.