English - ENG 50
Modern English Grammar (3-0) 3 Cr. Hrs.
This is the first of a two-part sequence (ENG 050/055) designed to prepare students for composition courses. The course content focuses on major grammatical concepts and writing. A grade of 2.0 or better in ENG 050 is necessary to enter ENG 055.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- Minimum placement test score of 10 ACT, 17 SAT or 35 CPT.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Identify parts of speech correctly: nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, pronouns, prepositions and conjunctions.
- Identify sentence parts correctly: subjects, verbs, phrases and clauses.
- Express complete thoughts using simple, compound, complex and compound/complex sentences.
- Apply conventional punctuation correctly to all types of sentences.
- Use a dictionary and thesaurus to identify word types and build vocabulary.
- Compose well developed paragraphs.
- Revise paragraphs for coherence, accuracy and clarity.
- Edit paragraphs for sentence skills: grammar, spelling, punctuation and word choice.
- Develop critical thinking skills.
- Develop proficiency in modern grammar.
| ||050||141500||Mod English Grammar|| ||3||Barnes B||$12.00||2/28/0||Open||M W 08:00 AM-09:20 AM LA310
| ||050||141501||Mod English Grammar|| ||3||Maheshwari A||$12.00||13/28/0||Open||T 08:00 AM-10:54 AM LA310
| ||050||141551||Mod English Grammar|| ||3||Zorn L||$12.00||17/31/0||Open||T 06:00 PM-08:54 PM LA465
| ||050||246204||Mod English Grammar|| ||3||Hunley E||$12.00||25/31/0||Open||T R 11:30 AM-12:50 PM RC675
| ||050||121500||Mod English Grammar|| ||3||Hunley E||$12.00||17/28/0||Open||M W 09:00 AM-12:10 PM LA300