Culinary Arts - CUL 128
Introduction to Food Techniques (1-3) 3 Cr. Hrs.
This course will teach the basic fundamentals of cooking techniques. The student will understand the methods of basic sauces, stocks, coulis and soup preparation. The student will also learn to apply the appropriate cooking methods for specific cuts of meat, fish, poultry and game. Vegetable and starch cookery will also be included. Specialty cuisines will also be explored, which will include nutritional, vegetarian, vegan and live foods.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
(A course to be taken in the same semester as this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Explain basic terminology used throughout the food service industry.
- Demonstrate the braising method of various cuts of meat and poultry.
- Demonstrate the stewing method of various cuts of meat and poultry.
- Demonstrate the shallow poaching method of various cuts of fish and poultry.
- Prepare the papillote technique using fish or seafood.
- Execute the sautéing technique using tender cuts of meat, fish, poultry or seafood.
- Demonstrate the grilling method using marinated fish, meat, poultry and vegetables.
- Prepare the roasting technique using meat or poultry.
- Explain the poêle method using various cuts of poultry.
- Explain the difference between grilling and barbecuing.
- Prepare a basic demi-glaze sauce.
- Demonstrate a basic velouté sauce.
- Prepare a tomato sauce.
- Prepare a pan sauce utilizing the drippings of a roast.
- Prepare a sauce beurre blanc.
- Prepare a coulis sauce.
- Explain the five grande sauces.
- Demonstrate knife skills using vegetables.
- Prepare a consommé soup.
- Prepare a gumbo style soup.
- Prepare a purée vegetable soup.
- Explain the classifications of soup.
- Demonstrate the blanching of vegetables.
- Prepare a rice pilaf.
- Prepare risotto style rice.
- Prepare sushi style rice.
- Execute various types of sushi using fish, seafood and vegetables.
- Prepare fresh pasta dough.
- Prepare vegetarian entrées using pasta.
- Explore the difference between vegetarian and vegan cuisine.
- Analyze the nutritional value of a super food.
| ||128||113705||Intro Food Tech|| ||3||Haight M||$305.00||0/12/0||Closed||T W R 11:45 AM-04:15 PM VT620
| ||128||113728||Intro Food Tech|| ||3||Haight M||$305.00||2/13/0||Open||T W R 11:45 AM-04:15 PM VT620
| ||128||113737||Intro Food Tech|| ||3||Haight M||$305.00||0/12/0||Closed||T W R 11:45 AM-04:15 PM VT620