Collegiate Skills - COLLS 53
Critical Reading and Thinking Applications (4-0) 4 Cr. Hrs.
This course focuses on developing brain-based comprehension strategies to actively read and process information from a variety of texts. Students will study test taking, including proper question/answer techniques. They will learn a variety of vocabulary strategies as well as strategies to critically analyze, synthesize and evaluate argumentative and expository essays.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- COLLS 50 or minimum score of 15-17 ACT-Reading, 22-24 SAT-Reading or 57-69 CPT-Reading Comprehension.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Develop reading comprehension strategies for various types of written material.
- Differentiate between stated and unstated main ideas and supporting details in paragraphs, essays and texts.
- Analyze vocabulary word parts and context clues in paragraphs, essays and texts.
- Identify major organizational writing patterns in paragraphs, visuals, essays and texts.
- Identify author's purpose and point of view in paragraphs, visuals, essays and texts.
- Recognize valid inferences in various paragraphs, visuals, essays and texts.
- Identify the central point and major supporting elements in visuals, essays and texts.
- Document important events while reading an autobiography and generate short essays.
- Use appropriate organizational, summative, notational and/or visual techniques to integrate related information.
- Demonstrate appropriate test preparation and test taking techniques.
- Identify essential elements of an argument.
- Formulate a valid, documented response to an argument.
| ||053||120501||Crit Read Think App|| ||4||Margosian-Galindo N||$25.00||24/24/0||Open||M W R 08:30 AM-10:09 AM MC035
M W R 10:15 AM-11:15 AM MC040
| ||053||110504||Critical Read Think App|| ||4||Wernholm A||$25.00||3/25/0||Open||M W 09:00 AM-09:54 AM MC015
M W 10:00 AM-10:54 AM MC040
| ||053||110505||Critical Read Think App|| ||4||Wroblewski V||$25.00||0/25/0||Closed||M W 12:00 PM-12:54 PM MC015
M W 01:00 PM-01:54 PM MC040
| ||053||110506||Critical Read Think App|| ||4||Margosian-Galindo N||$25.00||0/25/0||Closed||M W 10:00 AM-10:54 AM MC035
M W 11:00 AM-11:54 AM MC040
| ||053||110514||Critical Read Think App|| ||4||Boyde S||$25.00||5/20/0||Open||T R 01:30 PM-02:24 PM MC035
T R 02:30 PM-03:24 PM MC050
| ||053||110518||Critical Read Think App|| ||4||Boyde S||$25.00||4/25/0||Open||T R 03:30 PM-04:24 PM MC015
T R 04:30 PM-05:24 PM MC040
| ||053||110560||Critical Read Think App|| ||4||Wernholm A||$25.00||7/25/0||Open||T R 06:00 PM-06:54 PM MC035
T R 07:00 PM-07:54 PM MC040
| ||053||216507||Critical Read Think App|| ||4||Margosian-Galindo N||$25.00||6/24/0||Open||T 11:00 AM-12:54 PM RC270
R 11:00 AM-12:54 PM RC410