Chemistry - CHEM 117
General Chemistry 2 and Qualitative Analysis (4-4) 5 Cr. Hrs.
This course is the second course in a traditional one-year general college chemistry program and includes the study of kinetics, solution equilibria, solubility equilibria, hydrolysis, electrochemistry, coordination compounds, thermodynamics and qualitative analysis. A brief introduction to organic chemistry and quantitative analysis is also included. Laboratory work correlates with lecture and stresses the identification of common cations and anions by semi-micro methods.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Calculate equilibrium constants and reactant/product concentrations relating to various chemical equilibria.
- Differentiate between Arrhenius, Bronsted/Lowry and Lewis definitions of acids and bases.
- Measure the pH of a solution using a pH meter and acid/base indicators.
- Write balanced equations for acids, bases and insoluble solids dissolved in water.
- Write balanced equations for reactions between acids and bases.
- Calculate the hydrogen ion, hydroxide ion, pH and pOH of strong and weak acids and bases, salt solutions, buffer solutions and mixtures of acids and bases.
- Interpret titration curves.
- Calculate Ksp and molar solubility for slightly soluble solids.
- Calculate molar solubility for slightly soluble solids in the presence of common ions or complexing agents.
- Determine the effect of pH on the solubility of a solid.
- Determine concentration, reaction stoichiometry and chemical formulas from titration data.
- Calculate reaction rate and reaction order from kinetic data.
- Determine the rate law for a reaction mechanism.
- Explain the relationship between a reaction mechanism and a balanced equation.
- Explain the ways in which concentration, temperature, surface area and catalysts affect reaction rates.
- Identify by experiment, cations and anions present in various unknown compounds or mixtures.
- Compare properties of transition metals and main group elements.
- Explain trends of size, melting point, density, magnetism and electron configuration of transition metals.
- Relate Crystal Field Theory to the reactivity, magnetic properties, electron configuration and color of transition metal compounds.
- Write names and formulas for transition metal complexes.
- Classify groups of substances as geometric isomers, constitutional isomers, optical isomers, identical compounds or unrelated substances.
- Draw constitutional, geometric and/or optical isomers for a given chemical formula.
- Calculate delta H, delta S and delta G values for chemical changes given a table of standard values.
- Relate delta H, delta S and delta G values to the equilibrium constant and spontaneity of a chemical reaction.
- Determine reaction enthalpies using a calorimeter to collect the necessary data.
- Apply the concepts of oxidation reduction chemistry to various systems including electrolytic and galvanic cells.
- Determine the concentration of a solution using spectroscopic data.
- Apply a working knowledge of laboratory safety, including proper use of safety equipment (e.g. protective eyewear) and safe work habits.
- Utilize laboratory equipment in the performance of laboratory experiments.
- Organize laboratory data, calculations and analyses in an accurate and detailed fashion.
- Execute appropriate disposal procedures for the various compounds used in the laboratory.
- Demonstrate interpersonal communication and group work skills while cooperating with other students to complete laboratory experiments.
| ||117||145411||Gen CHEM 2 Qual ANAL|| ||5||Dickson P||$447.00||18/30/0||Open||M W 08:00 AM-09:54 AM F120
T R 08:00 AM-09:54 AM F200
| ||117||145459||Gen Chem 2 Qual Anal|| ||5||Vaysman L||$447.00||28/30/0||Open||M W 06:00 PM-07:54 PM F100
M W 08:00 PM-09:54 PM F200
| ||117||125402||Gen Chem 2 Qual Aly|| ||5||Dickson P||$426.00||0/30/6||Closed||M T W R 08:00 AM-10:07 AM F100
M T W R 10:15 AM-12:22 PM F200
| ||117||125451||Gen Chem 2 Qual Aly|| ||5||Jones A||$426.00||0/30/1||Closed||T R 06:00 PM-08:26 PM F100
M 06:00 PM-07:54 PM F200
W 06:00 PM-08:54 PM F200
| ||117||115408||Gen CHEM 2 Qual ANAL|| ||5||Dickson P||$426.00||4/30/0||Open||M W 08:00 AM-09:54 AM F120
T R 08:00 AM-09:54 AM F200
| ||117||115409||Gen CHEM 2 Qual ANAL|| ||5||Dickson P||$426.00||5/30/0||Open||M W 10:00 AM-11:54 AM F120
T R 10:00 AM-11:54 AM F200
| ||117||115418||General Chem 2 Qual Analysis|| ||5||Dickson P||$426.00||7/30/0||Open||M W 02:00 PM-03:54 PM F120
T R 02:00 PM-03:54 PM F200
| ||117||115455||Gen CHEM 2 Qual ANAL|| ||5||Vaysman L||$426.00||22/30/0||Open||T R 06:00 PM-07:54 PM F100
T R 08:00 PM-09:54 PM F200