Biomedical Engineering Technology - BMET 116
Biomedical Instrumentation Terminology and Safety 1 (2-1) 3 Cr. Hrs.
Students will acquire a knowledge of the language common to electronics and the medical profession based on spelling, pronunciation and definition of words and terms related to anatomy, medical equipment, electronic test equipment and safety. They will become acquainted with the fundamentals of medical equipment and testing concepts. Students will be introduced to the field of Biomedical Engineering Technology as a career.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- Acceptance into the Biomedical Engineering Technology Program (BMET).
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Explain the components that make up an ECG Waveform.
- Explain the components that make up a Blood Pressure Waveform.
- Illustrate the components of an ECG Waveform in relationship to a Blood Pressure Waveform.
- Explain how to use a Safety Analyzer.
- Explain how to use a Defibrillator Analyzer.
- Explain how to use a Non Invasive Blood Pressure Tester.
- Explain how to use a Patient Simulator.
- Explain safety precautions taken when working in the hospital environment.
- Explain the structure of a Biomedical Engineering Department.
Currently no sections of this class are being offered.