Biology - BIOL 243
Microbiology (3-4) 4 Cr. Hrs.
This course covers the world of microbes including microbial structures and function, biochemistry, metabolism, genetics, control of microbial growth, infectious diseases, immunity, classification and epidemiology. Laboratory techniques commonly utilized in microbiology are introduced, including microscope use, bacterial smears, staining methods, aseptic techniques, isolation of pure cultures, identification of unknown microorganisms and antibiotic testing.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Summarize the major events associated with the history of microbiology.
- Demonstrate the proper use of a light microscope.
- Prepare slides for microbiological examination.
- Apply aseptic techniques for the transfer and handling of microorganisms and instruments.
- Demonstrate proper use of microbiological media and test systems including isolating colonies, maintaining pure cultures and using biochemical test media.
- Operate standard microbiology laboratory equipment correctly.
- Apply safety, protective and emergency procedures in a microbiological laboratory.
- Identify the key characteristics of the major groups of organisms studied in microbiology (bacteria, algae, protists, fungi and viruses).
- Explain normal flora.
- Explain several ways in which microbes affect our lives.
- Identify the significance of Koch's Postulates.
- Contrast cell walls of gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria.
- Differentiate bacteria and viruses.
- Compare the various metabolic pathways in microbes.
- Explain the purpose of Bergey's Manual.
- Explain the process of DNA replication.
- Explain protein synthesis including transcription, RNA processing and translation.
- Explain how genetic mutation and recombination provide material for natural selection.
- Outline the steps, mechanisms, and applications associated with genetic engineering.
- Compare the bacterial chromosome and plasmid DNA.
- Explain the function of the DNA operons with specific examples.
- Summarize important diseases caused by microorganisms (etiological agents) and their mode of transmission.
- Classify viruses based on their nucleic acid type and structure.
- Explain nosocomial infections and their importance.
- Evaluate the various physical and chemical methods used to control microbial growth.
- Characterize the various host-microbes interactions.
- Contrast innate and adaptive defenses.
- Compare the origin and differentiation of the B-cells and T-cells in the human body.
- Examine the factors and mechanisms involved in immune disorders and hypersensitivity.
- Outline the use of microorganisms in environmental and industrial applications.
- Identify basic epidemiological techniques and their applications.
| ||243||145344||Microbiology|| ||4||McNutt C||$526.00||0/28/0||Closed||M W 08:00 AM-09:54 AM BTC210
M W 10:00 AM-11:20 AM BTC200
| ||243||145345||Microbiology|| ||4||Butkevich N||$526.00||5/28/2||Open||T R 08:00 AM-09:54 AM BTC210
T R 10:00 AM-11:20 AM BTC200
| ||243||145347||Microbiology|| ||4||Anderson D L||$526.00||22/28/0||Open||T R 12:00 PM-01:20 PM BTC200
T R 02:00 PM-03:54 PM BTC210
| ||243||145398||Microbiology|| ||4||Wrone T||$526.00||9/28/0||Open||M W 05:00 PM-06:20 PM BTC200
M W 07:00 PM-08:54 PM BTC210
| ||243||147843||Microbiology||Hybrid||4||Fruth K||$526.00||6/28/1||Open||M 10:00 AM-01:54 PM BTC210
| ||243||125333||Microbiology|| ||4||Lynd J||$508.00||0/28/1||Closed||M T W R 08:00 AM-10:07 AM BTC210
M T W R 10:15 AM-11:41 AM BTC200
| ||243||125353||Microbiology|| ||4||Wrone T||$508.00||4/28/0||Open||M T W R 06:00 PM-07:26 PM BTC200
M T W R 07:30 PM-09:37 PM BTC210
| ||243||127828||Microbiology||Hybrid||4||Butkevich N||$508.00||3/28/0||Open||F 08:00 AM-05:00 PM BTC210
| ||243||127829||Microbiology||Hybrid||4||Lynd J||$508.00||0/28/2||Closed||S 08:00 AM-05:00 PM BTC210
| ||243||127830||Microbiology||Hybrid||4||Butkevich N||$508.00||0/28/18||Closed||M W 12:00 PM-04:13 PM BTC210
| ||243||127831||Microbiology||Hybrid||4||Butkevich N||$508.00||3/28/0||Open||T R 10:15 AM-01:38 PM BTC210
W 10:15 AM-11:30 AM BTC210
| ||243||127832||Microbiology||Hybrid||4||Lynd J||$508.00||1/28/0||Open||T R 03:10 PM-07:23 PM BTC210
| ||243||135310||Microbiology|| ||4||Lynd J||$508.00||3/28/0||Open||M T W R 10:45 AM-12:11 PM BTC200
M T W R 08:30 AM-10:37 AM BTC210
| ||243||135311||Microbiology|| ||4||Lynd J||$508.00||2/28/0||Open||M T W R 12:30 PM-01:56 PM BTC200
M T W R 02:10 PM-04:17 PM BTC210
| ||243||137812||Microbiology||Hybrid||4||Lynd J||$508.00||1/28/6||Open||F 08:00 AM-05:00 PM BTC210
| ||243||137813||Microbiology||Hybrid||4||Lynd J||$508.00||19/28/0||Open||S 08:00 AM-05:00 PM BTC210