Biology - BIOL 238
Principles of Human Anatomy and Physiology 2 (3-2) 4 Cr. Hrs.
This is the second course in a two-semester sequence (continuation of BIOL 237) in the comprehensive study of the structure and function of the human body. Emphasis will be placed upon the anatomy and physiology of the circulatory, lymphatic, respiratory, digestive, urinary and reproductive systems. Labs reinforce units of study and include the use of prepared histological slides, anatomical models, dissection of preserved specimens, blood pressure measurement, spirometry, urinalysis and computer simulations. In addition, students will have the opportunity to examine a dissected cadaver to enhance anatomical studies. Students attend three hours of lecture and two hours of lab each week.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Characterize the structure and function of the cellular and noncellular components of blood.
- Differentiate between the various types of blood cells.
- Compare ABO and Rh blood types and their compatibilities.
- Explain the structure and function of the heart.
- Relate the conduction system of the heart to an electrocardiogram.
- Characterize the events of the cardiac cycle.
- Differentiate between the various types of blood vessels and their functions.
- Examine the factors that control blood pressure and blood flow.
- Outline the major circulatory routes.
- Explain the mechanisms of capillary exchange.
- Summarize the structure and function of the lymphatic system.
- Differentiate between innate and adaptive immunity.
- Distinguish between cell-mediated immunity and antibody-mediated immunity.
- Explain the structure and function of the respiratory system.
- Determine respiratory volumes and capacities.
- Analyze the exchange and transport of oxygen and carbon dioxide.
- Explain the structure and function of the digestive system.
- Examine the role of enzymes in chemical reactions.
- Summarize metabolic reactions involved in nutrient processing.
- Explain the structure and function of the urinary system.
- Compare the processes of renal filtration, reabsorption, and secretion in the formation of urine.
- Analyze the mechanisms of the regulation of water, electrolyte, and acid-base balance.
- Summarize the structure and function of the male and female reproductive systems.
- Explain the hormonal control of spermatogenesis and oogenesis.
- Differentiate the stages of human development.
| ||238||125358||Prin Hum Anat Phy 2|| ||4||Muse W||$175.00||24/24/0||Open||M W 06:30 PM-08:37 PM BTC135
T R 06:30 PM-09:40 PM BTC145
| ||238||127840||Prin Hum Anat Phy 2||Hybrid||4||Gray S||$175.00||24/24/0||Open||M W 08:00 AM-10:07 AM BTC135
| ||238||137804||Prin Hum Anat Phy 2||Hybrid||4||Gray S||$175.00||24/24/0||Open||M W 08:00 AM-10:07 AM BTC135
| ||238||137808||Prin Hum Anat Phy 2||Hybrid||4||Butkevich N||$175.00||24/24/0||Open||T R 12:00 PM-02:54 PM BTC135
| ||238||117820||Prin Hum Anat Phy 2||Hybrid||4||Butkevich N||$175.00||2/24/0||Open||F 09:00 AM-11:54 AM BTC135
| ||238||115303||Prin Hum Anat Phy 2|| ||4||Kurland S||$175.00||8/24/0||Open||F 09:00 AM-11:54 AM BTC100
S 09:00 AM-10:54 AM BTC135
| ||238||115330||Prin Hum Anat Phy 2|| ||4||Gray S||$175.00||0/24/0||Closed||M 08:00 AM-10:54 AM BTC145
W 08:00 AM-09:54 AM BTC135
| ||238||115334||Prin Hum Anat Phy 2|| ||4||Marang B||$175.00||0/24/5||Closed||M 11:00 AM-01:54 PM BTC145
W 11:00 AM-12:54 PM BTC135
| ||238||115335||Prin Hum Anat Phy 2|| ||4||Taylor B||$175.00||1/24/0||Open||T 11:00 AM-12:54 PM BTC135
R 11:00 AM-01:54 PM BTC145
| ||238||115338||Prin Hum Anat Phy 2|| ||4||Ismail N||$175.00||1/24/0||Open||T 08:00 AM-09:54 AM BTC135
R 08:00 AM-10:54 AM BTC145
| ||238||115394||Prin Hum Anat Phy 2|| ||4||Jubenville-Lutz T||$175.00||6/24/0||Open||M 06:00 PM-08:54 PM BTC145
W 06:00 PM-07:54 PM BTC135
| ||238||115395||Prin Hum Anat Phy 2|| ||4||Dasanayaka M||$175.00||13/24/0||Open||T 06:00 PM-07:54 PM BTC135
R 06:00 PM-08:54 PM BTC145
| ||238||115447||Prin Hum Anat Phy 2|| ||4||Taylor B||$175.00||1/24/0||Open||T 03:00 PM-05:54 PM BTC200
R 04:00 PM-05:54 PM BTC135
| ||238||117824||Prin Hum Anat Phy 2||Hybrid||4||Butkevich N||$175.00||3/24/0||Open||T 01:00 PM-03:54 PM BTC135
| ||238||117826||Prin Hum Anat Phy 2||Hybrid||4||Butkevich N||$175.00||1/24/1||Open||R 01:00 PM-03:54 PM BTC135