Biology - BIOL 140
Scanning Electron Microscopy (1-3) 4 Cr. Hrs.
This course emphasizes the principles and modes of operation of the scanning electron microscope and X-ray analysis systems, electron-specimen interactions, elemental analysis, effects of microscope variables on images, image processing, routine maintenance, the use of microscope accessories and digital outputs. In the laboratory, students will prepare and examine inorganic and organic specimens using the secondary, backscatter and variable pressure detectors of the SEM. Students complete a project consisting of the preparation, imaging and analysis of a biological specimen.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Prepare organic and inorganic specimens for scanning electron microscopy imaging and analysis.
- Operate the scanning electron microscope and related controls to mount, image and analyze organic and inorganic samples.
- Interpret electron micrographs.
- Explain the principles and operation of electron optics.
- Explain electron beam and specimen interactions.
- Explain the principles of energy and wave-dispersive X-ray analysis.
- Demonstrate routine and preventive maintenance associated with daily operation of the scanning electron microscope.
- Determine optimum imaging parameters and settings based on the sample’s composition and properties.
- Analyze a sample’s elemental composition using energy and wave-dispersive x-ray techniques.
- Summarize image and analysis data to produce a sample findings report.
- Organize data and images acquired during laboratory sessions in an electronic portfolio or data store.
- Develop an analysis protocol to determine a sample's physical and compositional properties.
| ||140||145331||Scan Elect Microscopy|| ||4||Butkevich N||$112.00||3/12/0||Open||T 04:00 PM-04:54 PM BTC200
T 05:00 PM-05:54 PM BTC175
R 04:00 PM-05:54 PM BTC175
| ||140||115331||Scan Elect Microscopy|| ||4||Butkevich N||$112.00||8/12/0||Open||T R 04:00 PM-05:54 PM BTC175