Brewing and Distillation Technology - BDT 230
Beverage Management and Service (1-3) 4 Cr. Hrs.
This course introduces service and management of beverages served in hospitality operations, especially draft beer. The course is designed to give students the tools necessary in order to work in or manage a craft beer-centric restaurant, bar or brewery tasting room. Topics include the history of the 3-Tier System, Control State regulations and liquor control, beer service, procurement, beer styles, beer and food pairing, draft system selection, maintenance and troubleshooting, staff training and responsible alcohol service. Students prepare for and take the Cicerone® Certification Program’s Beer Server Certificate exam and TIPS® (“Training for Intervention Procedures”) alcohol server certification as part of this course. Lab hours include beer service in the American Harvest Restaurant.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- Students must be at least 18 years of age to take this course [MCL 436.1703 Section 703, (13)].
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Interpret regulations and requirements relevant to serving alcoholic beverages to the public.
- Solve problems related to managing a beverage operation.
- Characterize the service requirements of beer, including glassware selection, serving temperature and service technique.
- Model techniques and behaviors to responsibly serve alcoholic beverages.
- Outline customer service requirements in a beverage service/tasting room setting.
- Summarize beer dispensing systems, their components and maintenance.
- Demonstrate proper procedures for beer service.
- Demonstrate proper safety and sanitation procedures used in a beverage service environment.
- Differentiate beer styles related to customer interaction to match a beverage to the customer's taste.
- Explain the components and function of beer draught systems, products dispensed and proper tuning.
- Explain the business responsibilities for a beverage operations facility, including staff selection and training.
- Demonstrate the principles of pairing beer with food.
| ||230||110951||Bev Mgmt & Service|| ||4||May A||$100.00||1/8/0||Open||R 04:45 PM-08:39 PM VT405
| ||230||110952||Bev Mgmt & Service|| ||4||May A||$100.00||1/8/0||Open||F 04:45 PM-08:39 PM VT405