Brewing and Distillation Technology - BDT 110
Brewhouse Operations and Technology (2-2) 4 Cr. Hrs.
This course provides students with the knowledge and skills required to successfully plan, develop, maintain, manage and operate the facilities and specialized equipment in a commercial brewery. Production operation of a working brewery, safety, regulatory compliance and application of the brewing process to a commercial brewing operation will be the focus. Product development, large batch material handling, cleaning, sanitation and maintenance will also be covered. Content areas are covered in lectures, while practical skills are practiced in a brewery setting. The course requires the student to complete 30 lab hours which must be scheduled with the instructor outside of lecture time in the Production Brewery Lab.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- Students must be at least 18 years of age to take this course [MCL 436.1703 Section 703, (13)].
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Identify the components of a commercial brewhouse and their function.
- Analyze the flow of product in the brewhouse and critical considerations at each state of the operation.
- Explain factors to be considered when designing/sizing a brewhouse operation with regard to operating costs, local, state and federal regulations, safety and product quality.
- Summarize the electrical, steam, heating and refrigeration systems found in a commercial brewhouse.
- Correlate options for energy use, water use, effluent, CO2 venting and waste disposal and their effect on the plant's environmental impact.
- Compare the different types of pumps, their operating principles and applications.
- Operate common types of control and monitoring systems, including valves, temperature and pressure monitors.
- Explain yeast propagation, pitching rates and viability monitoring.
- Outline the safety and sanitation requirements and policies of a brewhouse operation.
- Characterize various types of packaging lines and their requirements.
- Manage receiving, storage and handling of raw materials in a brewery operation.
- Perform common methods and techniques of monitoring and verifying product quality.
| ||110||140902||Brewhouse Oper Tech|| ||4||Block T||$162.00||4/24/0||Open||T 04:00 PM-07:54 PM VT405
| ||110||110903||Brewhouse Oper Tech|| ||4||Block T||$162.00||16/24/0||Open||T 04:00 PM-07:54 PM VT405