Preparation for Welder Certification in G.T.A.W./T.I.G.
The need for "Certified Welders" continues to grow. Certification comes as a result of demonstration of competence by passing performance examinations. Although Schoolcraft College does not qualify or certify welders, the college can duplicate these tests, provide instruction in the proper welding procedure and provide the appropriate testing equipment to examine and evaluate the results. This course addresses competencies in Gas Tungsten Arc Welding, which is a highly precise welding process that uses an electric arc producing torch and a hand-feed filler.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the American Welding Society (A.W.S.) and the American Society of Manufacturing Engineers (A.S.M.E.) welders qualification examinations.
- Demonstrate a minimal proficiency in the knowledge of welder certification tests used with G.T.A.W. process.
- Prepare steel plates for certification welds.
- Complete and pass a 2-G structural steel test on a 3/8" steel plate using the G.T.A.W. process.
- Identify proper filler rod material used in G.T.A.W. certification tests.
- Complete and pass a 3-G structural steel test on a 3/8" steel plate using the G.T.A.W. process.
- Determine proper amperages needed to complete a certification weld.
- Identify the proper tungstens needed to complete a certification weld.
- Complete and pass a 3-G certification test for testing at National Testing and Research Laboratory.
- Identify possible welding defects that would lead to certification failure.
- Operate remote amperage systems to obtain welds that meet certification criteria.
- Calculate gas flow to meet specified criteria for out of position welding.
| ||212||127148||Prep Weld Cert GTAW/TIG|| ||3||McLean C||$151.00||12/12/0||Open||
|T R ||10:00AM-10:54AM||AS371|
|T R ||11:00AM-12:26PM||AS360|