Shielded Metallic Arc Welding (S.M.A.W.)
Theory and fundamentals of oxy/fuel cutting, welding, braze welding, shielded metal arc welding, joining and fabricating will be explored. Emphasis will be on basic welding skills, filler metals and techniques for using different welding rods. Welding machine set up and oxy/fuel welding equipment set up will be practiced extensively to insure good sound safety habits. Safety in all welding applications will be explained and students will be required to pass safety evaluations. This course will establish good sound work habits and provide a foundation for more advanced courses.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Demonstrate skills in Oxy/Fuel welding and cutting.
- Demonstrate skills in Shielded Metal Arc Welding.
- Prepare simple weld joint fit up.
- Operate material shearing equipment.
- Produce sound out of position weld joints.
- Explain welding equipment set up.
- Explain safety procedures for welding equipment.
- Demonstrate safety procedures for welding equipment.
- Interpret parts of welds and weld defects.
- Identify various welding rods and the number code used for different welds.
- Explain the differences between cold rolled material and hot rolled material.
- Operate alternative fuel cutting equipment.
Currently no sections of this class are being offered.