Introduction to Social Work (3-0) 3 Cr. Hrs.
Introduction to Social Work is an introductory course to the social work field designed to provide students with an overview of the profession. Content will include an analysis of the profession, its scope, methods, values and the organization of services. Attention will be paid to presenting information on policy and practice in a variety of social work settings with particular target populations. The course orients students to the roles of the generalist social work practitioner within a theoretical framework that consists of systems theory, the ecological perspective and a problem solving model. Attention will be paid to the kinds of needs and problems that bring clients to the attention of social workers. The term "client" is defined as an individual, family, group, neighborhood, organization or large social system. The course stresses self-assessment in determining suitability for a career in social work.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Explore social work as a profession and the various settings in which social work is practiced.
- Identify social work values and major components of the NASW Code of Ethics.
- Examine the purposeful sequential helping process, known as social work practice, with human systems: individuals, families, groups, neighborhoods, organizations and communities.
- Identify social work roles used in work with populations at risk.
- Apply the ecological perspective, systems theory and problem-solving approach to social work practice.
- Examine individual interests, attitudes and motivations about the field of social work.
- Demonstrate social and cultural awareness using case studies of social work practice with diverse populations.
- Outline social work roles, including the role of the generalist BSW.
- Explore how at risk populations struggle against social and economic discrimination.
- Practice methods that might best empower the consumer/client.
- Enhance a personal commitment to helping others through service learning.
| ||101||111012||Intro Social Work|| ||3||Spolsky S||$12.00||9/24/0||Open||
| ||101||111015||Intro Social Work|| ||3||Spolsky S||$12.00||13/31/0||Open||
Note: This schedule updates once every 24 hours. Please reference WebAdvisor for current status.