Introduction to Pharmacy (3-0) 3 Cr. Hrs.
This course will provide students with an overview of pharmacy and possible careers within the pharmacy field. Students will be presented a survey of the profession including its history, development, career opportunities, educational requirements, professional organizations, scope of practice, regulation, ethical foundations, contemporary issues, and prospects for the future. In this course, students will self-assess their career compatibility within the field of pharmacy.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Summarize the profession of pharmacy, including its history, development, and regulation.
- Summarize the current scope of pharmacy practice, important contemporary issues, and prospects for the future.
- Compare and contrast the different career opportunities in pharmacy and the corresponding key pharmacy organizations.
- Differentiate among the various pharmacy settings and the role of pharmacy professionals within these settings.
- Identify the educational and professional requirements for different career paths in pharmacy.
- Outline the admission requirements for pharmacy school (Doctorate Degree), including the Pharmacy College Admission Service (PharmCAS), Pharmacy College Admissions Test (PCAT), and the Pharmacy School Admission Requirements (PSAR).
- Compare and contrast medication dosage forms, routes of administration, and drug delivery systems.
- Summarize the processes involved in pharmaceutical research, manufacture, and distribution.
- Provide examples of how pharmacy professionals are involved in each phase of pharmaceutical research and development.
- Discuss the roles of professional and regulatory organizations during the various phases of the drug discovery and the approval process.
- Differentiate between prescription drugs, over-the-counter drugs, and neutraceuticals.
- Interpret the terminology and abbreviations used in prescription and medication orders.
- Outline the key requirements for a prescription drug label.
- Justify the importance of pharmacy laws, confidentiality, and professional ethics.
- Analyze and critique the financial aspects of pharmaceutical-related health care.
| ||101||147301||Intro Pharmacy|| ||3||Ibrahim A||$12.00||25/30/0||Open||
Note: This schedule updates once every 24 hours. Please reference WebAdvisor for current status.