Nursing - NCLC
Advanced Concepts in Registered Nursing
This capstone course emphasizes comprehensive application of the nursing process and critical thinking skills while utilizing evidence-based principles of nursing to care for groups of complex clients within the registered nurse scope of practice. Theoretical content focuses on community health nursing, disaster preparedness/terrorism, health policy, principles of leadership, management, quality improvement and delegation as well as issues related to licensure and employment for the registered nurse. Clinical experiences are provided in acute and community settings utilizing an interdisciplinary collaborative approach.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Explore the role of the nurse in community health and community settings.
- Determine the effects of health policy and politics on nursing practice.
- Apply legal concepts to nursing practice.
- Prepare to write the NCLEX-RN.
- Utilize computerized testing to improve test-taking strategies in preparation for the NCLEX-RN.
- Apply the nursing process to situations involving disasters/terrorism.
- Evaluate research as an approach to improve nursing practice.
- Examine continuous quality improvement, institutional safety processes and quality and safety education of nurses (QSEN).
- Investigate a quality improvement/safety topic incorporating evidence-based practice.
- Apply the nursing process and leadership/management/customer service principles to manage care for a group of clients.
- Analyze principles of staffing and delegation as utilized in patient-centered care.
- Establish advanced communication and conflict resolution techniques related to teamwork, collaboration and provision of client care.
- Apply concepts of professionalism to nursing practice.
- Incorporate the concept of reality shock and strategies for transition from student to the RN role.
- Construct a professional portfolio including a professional resume.
- Acquire techniques and strategies utilized for a job interview.
- Demonstrate designated clinical competencies.
- Demonstrate proficiency on select standardized computer assessments.
Currently no sections of this class are being offered.