Nursing - NCLC
Fundamentals of Nursing (5-12) 9 Cr. Hrs.
This course provides an introduction to the theory and practice of nursing. It emphasizes application of the nursing process and critical thinking skills while utilizing evidence-based principles of nursing in providing basic care for chronically ill and elderly clients within the practical and registered nurse scope of practice. Theoretical content focuses on fundamental nursing concepts and skills. Clinical experiences occur in laboratory, clinical and community settings utilizing an interdisciplinary collaborative approach.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- Acceptance into the Nursing Career Ladder Curriculum for the current year.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Examine the evolution of nursing.
- Operationalize the use of the nursing process as a framework for client care.
- Apply the nursing process when providing client hygiene measures.
- Apply the nursing process to clients with mobility alterations.
- Apply the nursing process to clients with comfort alterations.
- Apply the nursing process to clients with sleep/rest alterations.
- Apply the nursing process to clients with nutritional, fluid and electrolyte disturbances.
- Apply the nursing process to clients with impaired oxygenation.
- Apply the nursing process to clients with cognitive and sensory impairment.
- Apply the nursing process to clients with integumentary disorders.
- Apply the nursing process to clients with commonly occurring alterations in elimination patterns.
- Apply the nursing process to clients and families experiencing grief and loss.
- Apply concepts of professionalism to nursing practice.
- Differentiate scopes of practice within the nursing profession and various health care settings.
- Differentiate the roles and functions of other members of the health care team.
- Apply the nursing process in meeting the learning needs of adult clients.
- Apply the nursing process to meet the needs of adult and elderly clients and their families.
- Adhere to legal and ethical guidelines when providing nursing care.
- Apply the nursing process to provide culturally competent care.
- Apply the nursing process to provide care to meet spiritual needs.
- Utilize principles of medical and surgical asepsis when providing nursing care.
- Utilize safety and accident prevention techniques.
- Apply the nursing process when performing vital sign measurements.
- Apply the nursing process when performing a shift assessment.
- Apply the nursing process to clients receiving medications via oral, enteral, topical, transdermal, eye, ear, inhalation, rectal and vaginal routes.
- Apply the nursing process to clients receiving medications via parenteral routes.
- Demonstrate designated clinical competencies.
- Demonstrate proficiency on select standardized computer assessments.
| ||110||145702||Fundamentals of Nursing|| ||9||Campbell T||$635.00||9/32/0||Open||
|T W ||08:00AM-01:54PM||TBA|
| ||110||145703||Fundamentals of Nursing|| ||9||Lloyd EMott M||$635.00||7/32/0||Open||
|W R ||03:00PM-08:54PM||TBA|
| ||110||145704||Fundamentals of Nursing|| ||9||Brendel H||$635.00||7/32/0||Open||
|T W ||03:00PM-08:54PM||TBA|
| ||110||145705||Fundamentals of Nursing|| ||9||Maheras N||$635.00||11/32/0||Open||
|R F ||08:00AM-01:54PM||TBA|
Note: This schedule updates once every 24 hours. Please reference WebAdvisor for current status.