Comprehensive Study of Human Body Systems 1 (2-2) 3 Cr. Hrs.
This is the first of three courses on the human body systems as they relate to the practice of massage therapy. The foundational course presents the principles of anatomy, physiology, kinesiology, pathology and pharmacology. A combination of lecture and lab, students are presented with a decision making model for critical thinking. Students will learn about the integumentary, skeletal, articular, muscular and fascial systems in a theoretical and hands-on manner. Students will also begin the exploration of concepts, terminology and structures of movement.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
(A course to be taken in the same semester as this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Outline the levels of anatomical organization of the body.
- Explain the interrelationship between structure and function of the body.
- Compare Eastern and Western concepts of anatomy and physiology.
- Identify dynamic equilibrium and self-regulatory mechanisms of the human body.
- Differentiate between indications, cautions and contraindications for pathologic conditions.
- Identify cautionary and endangerment sites.
- Characterize the major tissue types, their locations and functions.
- Classify the effects of pharmacologic substances on the body.
- Outline the structures, functions and common pathologies of the integumentary, skeletal, articular, muscular and fascial systems.
- Evaluate the potential effect of massage therapies on common pathologies of the integumentary, skeletal, articular, muscular and fascial systems.
- Identify the relationship of common pharmacologic agents to massage therapy applications.
- Justify the application of therapeutic massage to support health maintenance for the integumentary, skeletal, articular, muscular and fascial systems.
- Evaluate treatment findings and therapeutic results with appropriate terminology.
- Identify the need for medical referral to other health care practitioners.
| ||113||247801||Com Study of Human Body 1 ||Hybrid|| ||Travis L||$154.00||7/18/0||Open||
| ||113||217816||Comp Study of Human Body Sys 1 ||Hybrid|| ||Travis L||$154.00||18/18/0||Open||
Note: This schedule updates once every 24 hours. Please reference WebAdvisor for current status.