Office Practicum (1-15) 3 Cr. Hrs.
The student will participate in a 180-hour non-paid externship under the direction of a physician and/or the office manager or supervisor. The externship is structured to provide experience in performing administrative and clinical procedures in a physician office, clinic or ambulatory healthcare setting. The student will interact with other healthcare professionals performing and observing skills of a medical assistant. It is an opportunity that will allow a student to apply theory to practice.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- Successful completion of all academic and medical assisting courses.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Explain the skills of the general, clinical and administrative aspects of medical assisting.
- Assess the activities performed and observed while at practicum site.
- Research job opportunities for medical assistants.
- Develop a resume and cover letter.
- Compile a medical office procedure manual.
- Complete the application for the Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) examination.
- Develop a preparation plan for the Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) examination.
- Complete a mock Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) examination.
- Apply legal implications.
- Summarize pre-employment protocols.
| ||195||227801||Office Practicum ||Hybrid||3||Donahee-Rader M||$450.00||24/24/0||Open||
| ||195||217823||Office Practicum ||Hybrid||3||Donahee-Rader M||$426.00||7/24/0||Open||
Note: This schedule updates once every 24 hours. Please reference WebAdvisor for current status.