Medical Office Procedures
This course will focus on the basic concepts in the professional practice of medicine and the role and function of the medical assistant. The course introduces personal and professional characteristics and legal and ethical standards for the medical assistant. Professional and personal therapeutic communications, time management and workplace dynamics will be studied. This course addresses administrative skills necessary for the medical assistant.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Characterize the traits of an effective Medical Assistant.
- Plan a day’s activities in a medical office.
- Organize the office work to include adapting to minor emergencies and the prevention of disruption of the work routine.
- Explain the standard unit in scheduling appointments and the different types of scheduling.
- Perform the steps for scheduling of appointments in the medical office for the physician and other health professionals for the speed and efficiency of both the patient and professional.
- Explain the influence of culture, hereditary and environment on human behavior as it relates to healthcare providers.
- Categorize the levels of Maslow’s hierarchy of needs, as well as the concepts of mental health and applied psychology.
- Assess the importance of reimbursement in the practice of medicine.
- Apply pegboard procedures.
- Perform banking procedures simulating actual transactions.
- Interpret AMA Code of Ethics, and AAMA Code of Ethics.
- Compile the different patterns of listening.
- Demonstrate the five methods of communication.
- Formulate examples of verbal, written, informed, and consent of emancipated minors.
- Prepare a medical record according to guidelines.
- Summarize confidentiality and right to privacy as they relate to medical records including HIPAA.
- Interpret the computer/electronic medical record.
- Identify the workplace dynamic traits for a successful medical office.
| ||140||245650||Medical Office Procedures|| ||3||Hoffman D|| ||10/31/0||Open||
| ||140||247809||Medical Office Procedures ||Hybrid||3||Donahee-Rader MHoffman D|| ||19/31/0||Open||