Medical Insurance Coding
This course introduces the student to insurance coding guidelines developed for use with the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-10-CM/PCS) and Current Procedural Terminology (CPT-4). The course is designed to develop coding skills to record the services and procedures that are provided for the patient. The importance of accurate coding will be discussed as it is an essential part of reimbursement.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
(A course to be taken in the same semester as this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Explain why accuracy is essential in coding.
- Break down how diagnosis and procedure coding tie together on the claim form.
- Analyze how ICD-10-CM/PCS diagnostic codes are used in medical practice.
- Demonstrate the basic steps in using ICD-10-CM/PCS diagnostic codes.
- Apply the basic guidelines using ICD-10-CM/PCS diagnostic codes for a given diagnosis.
- Compare the use of fifth-digits, notes, includes, and excludes in ICD-10-CM/PCS conventions.
- Analyze physician documentation.
- Apply coding guidelines to specific problems.
- Interpret the format of CPT-4 procedure codes, sections, guidelines and punctuation.
- Document the basic steps in using CPT-4 codes for a given procedure or service.
- Apply the basic guidelines using CPT-4 codes for a given procedure or service.
- Determine the coding information needed to complete the claim form.
| ||134||245658||Medical Insurance Coding|| ||3||Frazier R|| ||5/31/0||Open||
| ||134||247808||Medical Insurance Coding ||Hybrid||3||Rubio P|| ||13/31/0||Open||
| ||134||215611||Medical Insurance Coding|| ||3||Frazier R|| ||13/31/0||Open||
| ||134||217813||Medical Insurance Coding ||Hybrid||3||Rubio P|| ||27/31/0||Open||
Note: This schedule updates once every 24 hours. Please reference WebAdvisor for current status.