This course teaches basic technical skills necessary for a phlebotomist to draw blood in various healthcare settings such as hospital labs, doctors’ offices and clinics. Proper procedures are stressed for the safe collection and handling of clinical specimens obtained by venipuncture or capillary puncture from adults, children and infants. This course also defines the role of the phlebotomist in the healthcare setting.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Identify how the phlebotomist fits into the health care team.
- Apply professional behavior to basic concepts of personal and patient interactions.
- Explain infection control as it applies to patient samples and direct patient contact.
- Apply patient safety precautions during phlebotomy.
- Classify the types of patient specimens that are analyzed in the clinical laboratory.
- Determine the phlebotomist's role in collection and/or transporting of specimens to the laboratory.
- Assess the criteria for suitability of the specimen for the analysis requested.
- Evaluate the veins and arteries of the arms and hands used to perform phlebotomy.
- Demonstrate knowledge of collection equipment.
- Summarize the various types of anticoagulants used, special precautions necessary and substances that can interfere in clinical analysis of blood constituents.
- Illustrate proper techniques to perform venipuncture with both the vacutainer system and syringe draws.
- Demonstrate proper techniques to perform capillary punctures.
- Facilitate proper techniques for special collection procedures including bleeding times, blood cultures, microbiologic cultures, glucose tolerance tests and therapeutic drug monitoring.
| ||110||245612||Phlebotomy|| ||4||Donahee-Rader M||$75.00||12/24/0||Open||
| ||110||245636||Phlebotomy|| ||4||Paris J||$75.00||6/24/0||Open||
| ||110||245654||Phlebotomy|| ||4||Donahee-Rader M||$75.00||14/24/0||Open||
| ||110||215607||Phlebotomy|| ||4||Donahee-Rader M||$75.00||24/24/0||Open||
| ||110||215609||Phlebotomy|| ||4||Paris J||$75.00||24/24/0||Open||
| ||110||215656||Phlebotomy|| ||4||Donahee-Rader M||$75.00||24/24/0||Open||
Note: This schedule updates once every 24 hours. Please reference WebAdvisor for current status.