Health Information Technology
Ambulatory Coding Practicum (1-1) 2 Cr. Hrs.
This course will provide practical hands-on experience with Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) coding of health/medical records. The student will apply official coding guidelines to a variety of clinical cases and record types such as ambulatory, emergency, outpatient and physician office or service. The student will utilize the computerized encoding systems for ambulatory and procedure/services coding. The student will research references in solving coding problems.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Use electronic applications and work processes to support clinical classification and coding.
- Apply procedures codes using CPT/HCPCS.
- Apply diagnosis/procedure codes using the ICD system.
- Adhere to current regulations and established guidelines in code assignment.
- Ensure accuracy of diagnostic/procedural groupings such as APCs and so on.
- Validate coding accuracy using clinical information found in the health record.
- Resolve discrepancies between coded data and supporting documentation.
- Use specialized software in the completion of HIM processes such as record tracking, release of information, coding, grouping, registries, billing, quality improvement and imaging.
- Monitor coding and revenue cycle processes.
- Apply policies and procedures to comply with the changing regulations among various payment systems for healthcare services such as Medicare, Medicaid, managed care and so forth.
- Support accurate billing through coding, chargemaster, claims management and bill reconciliation processes.
- Use established guidelines to comply with reimbursement and reporting requirements such as the National Correct Coding Initiative.
- Compile patient data and perform data quality reviews to validate code assignment and compliance with reporting requirements such as outpatient prospective payment systems.
Currently no sections of this class are being offered.
Note: This schedule updates once every 24 hours. Please reference WebAdvisor for current status.