Health Information Technology
Ambulatory Coding Practicum (1-1) 2 Cr. Hrs.
This course will provide practical hands-on experience with Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) coding of health/medical records and case scenarios. The student will apply official coding guidelines to a variety of clinical cases and record types such as ambulatory, emergency, outpatient and physician office and ancillary services. Evaluation and Management (E/M) leveling will be performed. HCPCS Level 2 codes will also be applied. The student will research references in solving coding problems. Manual and computerized systems for procedure and service coding will be reviewed.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
(A course to be taken in the same semester as this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Interpret clinical documentation in the health record for CPT/HCPCS code assignment.
- Assign procedures codes using CPT/HCPCS according to current guidelines and conventions.
- Determine codes for technical vs. professional components when applicable.
- Comply with reimbursement and reporting requirements such as the National Correct Coding Initiative.
- Evaluate the accuracy of CPT and HCPCS Level 2 coding.
- Ensure accuracy of procedural groupings such as APCs.
- Resolve discrepancies between coded data and supporting documentation.
- Utilize technology to support and maintain clinical classification and coding.
| ||231||227224||Ambulatory Coding Practicum|| ||2||Harder C||$52.00||6/24/0||Open||
| ||231||227253||Ambulatory Coding Practicum|| ||2||Cole K||$52.00||14/24/0||Open||
| ||231||227254||Ambulatory Coding Practicum|| ||2||Harder C||$52.00||9/24/0||Open||
Note: This schedule updates once every 24 hours. Please reference WebAdvisor for current status.