Health Information Technology
Healthcare Delivery Systems
This course provides for a comprehensive review of the healthcare industry. Trends and changes related to healthcare facilities such as acute care hospitals, specialty hospitals, long-term care facilities, managed care organizations, ambulatory care, behavioral care, hospice and home healthcare are investigated. The course will also deal with the impact and use of technology in the delivery and documentation of healthcare and the role of the health information professional within the healthcare delivery system.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Differentiate the roles of various providers and disciplines throughout the continuum of healthcare and respond to their information needs.
- Apply health record documentation guidelines across the continuum of care.
- Apply organization-wide health record documentation guidelines.
- Determine the accrediting body most appropriate for each health care delivery setting.
- Apply policies and procedures to ensure organizational compliance with regulations and standards.
- Maintain the accuracy and completeness of the patient record as defined by organizational policy and external regulations and standards.
- Assist in preparing the organization for accreditation, licensing and/or certification surveys.
- Identify various forms of managed care and compare how they are structured.
- Apply current laws, accreditation, licensure and certification standards related to health information initiatives from the national, state, local and facility levels.
- Apply policies and procedures to comply with the changing regulations among various payment systems for healthcare services such as Medicare, Medicaid, managed care and so forth.
- Explain the impact of heath care changes on the health information manager.
- Identify expanding opportunities available to health information managers.
| ||216||247807||Healthcare Delivery Systems ||Hybrid||2||Shaffer E|| ||21/30/0||Open||