Health Information Technology
Clinical Affiliation 1
This course provides professional practice assignments for the student in a Health Information Management/Services department under the supervision of a qualified Health Information Management professional. The student will have the opportunity to observe and interact with the Health Information Management professional in a variety of healthcare facilities both on-campus and off-campus site. The student will observe, perform and report on health information systems utilized in a variety of healthcare facilities and virtual lab.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
(A course to be taken in the same semester as this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Explain the role of the Health Information Management Department within the healthcare facility organization.
- Demonstrate the behavior of a health information management professional in the healthcare facility.
- Collect health data (such as data elements, data sets and databases).
- Conduct analysis to ensure that documentation in the health record supports the diagnosis and reflects the patient's progress, clinical findings and discharge status.
- Apply policies and procedures to ensure the accuracy of health data.
- Verify timeliness, completeness, accuracy and appropriateness of data and data sources for patient care, management, billing reports, registries and/or databases.
- Monitor and apply organization-wide health record documentation guidelines.
- Apply policies and procedures to ensure organizational compliance with regulations and standards.
- Maintain the accuracy and completeness of the patient record as defined by organizational policy and external regulations and standards.
- Assist in preparing the organization for accreditation, licensing and/or certification surveys.
- Use electronic applications and work processes to support clinical classification and coding.
- Assign diagnosis/procedure codes using current classification systems.
- Report data for clinical indices/databases/registries.
- Organize data for quality management, utilization management, risk management and other related studies.
- Apply current laws, accreditation, licensure and certification standards related to health information initiatives from the national, state, local and facility levels.
- Differentiate the roles of various providers and disciplines throughout the continuum of healthcare and respond to their information needs.
- Apply policies and procedures for access and disclosure of personal health information.
- Promote ethical standard of practice.
- Use technology, including hardware and software, to ensure data collection, storage, analysis and reporting of information.
- Use common software applications such as spreadsheets, databases, word processing, graphics, presentation, email and so on in execution of work processes.
- Use specialized software in the completion of HIM processes such as a record tracing, release of information coding, grouping, registries, billing, quality improvement and imaging.
- Apply policies and procedures to the use of networks, including intranet and Internet applications to facilitate the electronic health record (EHR), personal health record (PHR), public health and other administrative applications.
- Use appropriate electronic or imaging technology for data/record storage.
- Generate reports to facilitate information retrieval.
- Generate reports using appropriate software.
- Apply confidentiality and security measures to protect electronic health information.
- Protect data integrity and validity using software or hardware technology.
- Apply departmental and organizational data and information system security policies.
- Summarize data compiled from audit trail and data quality monitoring programs.
- Contribute to the design and implementation of risk management, contingency planning and data recovery procedures.
- Participate in teamwork.
- Compile a professional practice procedure manual to reflect the analysis of the health information management functions performed or observed.
Currently no sections of this class are being offered.