Health Information Technology
Legal Aspects of Health Information (1-2) 2 Cr. Hrs.
This course provides the Health Information Technology student with an understanding of the American legal system and the legal requirements concerning the compilation and maintenance of health information. Additional topics include how health information is used and when it can be disclosed, state and federal regulations and statutes, including the privacy and security rules resulting from the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA).
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Maintain the accuracy and completeness of the patient record as defined by organizational policy and external regulations and standards.
- Assist in preparing the organization for accreditation, licensing and/or certification surveys.
- Apply current laws, accreditation, licensure, and certification standards related to health information initiatives from the national, state, local and facility levels.
- Adhere to the legal and regulatory requirements related to the health information infrastructure.
- Apply policies and procedures for access and disclosure of personal health information.
- Release patient-specific data to authorized users.
- Maintain user access logs/systems to track access to and disclosure of identifiable patient data.
- Apply confidentiality and security measures to protect electronic health information.
- Collect data for quality management, utilization management, risk management and other related studies.
- Apply and promote ethical standards of practice.
- Explain the workings of the American legal system including court systems and legal procedures that health information professionals may be required to comply with.
- Demonstrate how health information professionals can impact pending/existing legislation affecting health information practices.
- Examine the principles of liability, the nature of the relationships from which liability can arise and the legal theories and defense in underlying lawsuits in the health care field.
- Apply retention and destruction policies for health information.
| ||116||247206||Legal Aspects of Health Info|| ||2||Taylor K||$114.00||23/31/0||Open||
| ||116||247254||Legal Aspects of Health Info|| ||2||Swan J||$114.00||24/31/0||Open||
| ||116||217212||Legal Aspects of Health Info|| ||2||Taylor K||$96.00||19/31/0||Open||
| ||116||217255||Legal Aspects of Health Info|| ||2||Swan J||$96.00||26/31/0||Open||
Note: This schedule updates once every 24 hours. Please reference WebAdvisor for current status.