Health Information Technology
Basic Laboratory and Diagnostic Tests
This course is designed to prepare an allied health student to identify clinical laboratory and diagnostic tests. The student will develop an understanding of what the laboratory and diagnostic test is used for as it relates to diseases, diagnoses or disorders associated with the test and the normal range or results of the test. Students will complete case studies to demonstrate a working knowledge of laboratory and diagnostic tests.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Interpret key words, abbreviations and acronyms related to laboratory and diagnostic tests.
- Identify the tests or procedures performed by radiologists, nuclear physicians, anatomic pathologists and clinical pathologists.
- Identify screening tests and procedures for common diseases or conditions.
- Explain how common laboratory and diagnostic tests are performed.
- Relate the indications and contraindications for various diagnostic tests.
- Interpret laboratory and diagnostic test results.
- Distinguish the normal ranges for laboratory tests.
- Relate specific diagnoses to laboratory and diagnostic tests.
- Investigate the circumstances that interfere with successful diagnostic tests.
| ||112||227216||Basic Laboratory Diag Tests|| ||2||Taylor K|| ||31/31/0||Open||