Fire Department Organization and Administration
This course is designed to equip the student with knowledge to effectively tackle challenging management problems and deliver practical solutions for managing today’s fire departments. This course provides guidance on leadership skills: motivating and disciplining personnel and accepting cultural diversity and unity. Also covered in this course is managing human resources, the use of computer technology for information management and strategic planning and budgeting.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Explain the distinction between management theory and application.
- Summarize the skills that link an organization with its employees.
- Explain critical attributes of leadership.
- Classify the three most prominent leadership theories.
- Identify the four components of management theory.
- Examine the three c’s of management theory.
- Explain skills involved in increasing and maintaining a fire department’s technical competence.
- Differentiate between coaching and counseling.
- Investigate strategies involved in conflict resolution.
- Identify criteria used in evaluating performance.
- Explain the organizational components of a fire department.
- Identify a fire department’s areas of management responsibility.
- Prioritize basic fire prevention activities.
- Prepare a fire-safety education program.
- Create a pre-fire plan.
- Interpret a company officer’s role in legal matters.
- Determine physical resources available to a fire department.
- Identify the types of budgets used in fire departments.
- Examine the need for a personnel policy in a fire department.
- Demonstrate a non-discriminatory pre-employment interview.
- Identify laws governing collective bargaining.
| ||205||345609||Department and Organization|| ||3||Kiurski T|| ||26/31/0||Open||
| ||205||315652||Fire Department Org & Admin|| ||3||Kiurski T|| ||31/31/0||Open||
Note: This schedule updates once every 24 hours. Please reference WebAdvisor for current status.