Fire and Arson Investigation (4-0) 4 Cr. Hrs.
This course is designed to acquaint students with data on fire dynamics, explosions and fire behavior. The course is for students interested in learning fundamentals of collection, preservation and analysis of physical evidence. Also covered as part of the course are new laws and court decisions controlling investigator’s access to scene and admission of evidence. This course prepares students for on-scene investigation as well as in-service or promotional exams.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Identify problems of arson in the United States.
- Examine the laws as they pertain to investigation rights.
- Interpret landmark cases forming the basis for investigation.
- Outline common terms associated with fire and arson investigation.
- Ascertain investigative aspects of fire behavior.
- Identify fire influence as it pertains to building construction.
- Determine fire loads, both common and unique.
- Differentiate between effects of flammable and combustible liquids.
- Classify potential hazardous materials involved in fire.
- Explain fire ground operations prior to investigation.
- Differentiate low burn and point of origin.
- Summarize sources contributing to or causing fires and explosions.
- Distinguish between natural and lpg gases.
- Explain the need to rule out accidental causes.
- Investigate the operation of heating and cooling devices.
- Identify the tools and equipment required for the investigator.
- Demonstrate note taking, and fire scene sketching.
- Explain the importance of investigative etiquette and procedures in starting the investigation.
- Justify the need for safety during the investigation.
- Examine heat, flame, and smoke patterns.
- Categorize types of evidence, searching for evidence, collecting, preserving, and custody of evidence.
- Differentiate between interviews and interrogation.
- Demonstrate report writing skills.
| ||200||345672||Fire & Arson Investigation|| ||4||Walker A||$12.00||27/31/0||Open||
Note: This schedule updates once every 24 hours. Please reference WebAdvisor for current status.