English as a Second Language
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- A grade of 2.0 or better in ESL 101 is required to enter ESL 102.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Design essays according to the writing process: Prewriting, writing, revising, editing and proofreading, and publishing.
- Express thoughts accurately and clearly in writing with minimum grammatical errors that impede understanding.
- Apply all parts of speech to enhance writing.
- Differentiate simple, compound and compound-complex sentences.
- Investigate the components of an essay.
- Predict the development for plot, characterization, setting and climax in literary work.
- Summarize the theme of a short story.
- Compose descriptive, comparison-contrast, cause-effect and classification essays.
- Critique essays for sentence skills: grammar, spelling, punctuation and word choice.
Currently no sections of this class are being offered.